Friday, June 29, 2007

Medical Billing - Getting answers to the RIGHT questions the first time!

As a seasoned, professional medical biller, I often think about where I AM vs. where I began in this business. After earning many private practice owners as clients, it has been quite the road n figuring out EXACTLY what is needed to begin working for these practitioners. It took me MONTHS of errors and THOUSANDS of dollars literally FAILING to really "get it". I had so many questions about what I really NEEDED to get started in this billing business. I have since met MANY people interested in developing their own medical billing firms. They generally take some sort of course, align themselves with a software vendor and "believe" they have what they need. I WAS the same. But, unlike many, I DIDN'T "FORGET" TO START! But, I may be different than others - I try and try until I figure it out. I believe in persistence and determination. BUT, I also believe in HELP. It is IMPERATIVE that you gather KEY data in order to set a practice up correctly the first time. There are many things that you require that go beyond their business name, tax id and address. I am an active member of a foundation that was created by an alliance of medical billers from all levels of experience. I have contributed to the foundation and other members selected ONE of my tools as an offering for use. My questionnaire. There are MANY additional tools available through the foundation that EVERY MEDICAL BILLER needs! Check out the foundation by visiting www.MedicalBillingFoundation.com. The membership fees are so reasonable for what you receive. The continued education that I receive, I actually pass on to my clients, which demonstrates my ever-growing knowledge in the industry. Frankly, I do not have time to conduct independent searches. The foundation gathers the updates for me and I simply share it with my clients. They even have a newsletter that I download and use as a handout to both clients and prospects alike. There are forums and blog pages available which encourages medical billers to stay connected and to share information and experiences. I am anxiously awaiting their webinars and seminars. My tip today is to BUY the help that you need AND do not "forget to start" by not having complete tools or information. Utilize what is readily available and proven to work, created by other experienced medical billers. I am COMPLETELY pleased with both their offering and their pricing. I cannot believe that I spent over $20K on what it NOW available in ONE PLACE for under $1,000. Hindsight is (unfortunately) ALWAYS 20/20.

No comments: